Wednesday 28 January 2015

Etsy shop find...a chat with Flora Chang!

I'm really pleased to be able to share 
the work of Flora Chang with you today, 
also known as Happy Doodle Land over in her etsy shop.

Flora sells an abundance of prints, hoping to put a big smile on your face!
I just adore her colour, her lovely characters and the fun and happy feel she creates with her artwork.
There is so much variety to her work, using different techniques;
 digital, hand drawn, watercolour, fine line and much more, 
I was spoilt for choice for images to include in this post.

So, lets get to know Flora a little better...
Get that cuppa!



1. Can you tell us a bit about you and your background...

I was born in Taipei, Taiwan. 
I went to San Francisco in 1998 to study Graphic Design at the Academy of Art College (now Academy of Art University.) 
During the Spring Show in 2001,  Hallmark Cards sent its recruiter to our school and she invited me to fly to the headquarter for an interview; I was offered a job before I finished school. 
I moved to Kansas City as soon as I graduated and have worked at Hallmark as a designer for over 13 years.




2. Who are your design heroes and what inspires you?

There are so many designers and artists who I greatly admire, such as Alexander Girard, Paul Klee, Nathalie Lete, Beatrice Alemagna, Minami Keiko, Calef Brown... just to name a few. I am inspired by colors, organic lines shapes, and folk art. 



3. Tell us about a typical day for you...

I get up around 8 am during the week. Like most people with a full-time job, I go to work from Monday to Friday. 
At work I design and illustrate kids cards all day. 
I usually get off work around 6ish, sometimes later, depending on the workload. 
In the evening after finishing dinner, I would either get on Facebook to see what's going on with my friends, updating my official Facebook page, or go to my library room to draw or read. 
I go to bed late, usually around 1am or even later. I am a total night owl.



4. What’s your favourite item for sale in your etsy shop, and which is the most popular with buyers?

I like my art prints, the smaller art prints are the most popular, and I try to add new designs into my shop on regular basis. 
I also have some interchangeable necklaces which I've been told by many buyers to be their favorite Etsy purchase.



5. Can you give us an insight into your creative process? 

I rarely sketch out my design, especially if I am creating digitally because I am used to work in a fast-paced environment. 
Most of the time, when I get an assignment, I'd have a rough idea in my head how I want a piece to look like, and I'd go on my computer right away and figure it out as I draw. 
I work mostly in Photoshop because it's easier for me to add interesting textures.



6. How would you describe your style?

I'd say, in general, I have two styles. My commercial style, especially when I am creating at work, is pretty graphic, with a little bit of mid-century modern mixed in with some Scandinavian flair. But I also love to create in a more fluid, organic, folk-art inspired style. I switch between these two styles, depending on the need of the job, and sometimes I blend these two styles together.


7. What are you currently working on? 
And do you have any big plans or goals over the next couple of years?

Right now my day job still occupies the majority of my time. 
I love to create kids products at work and it will still be the main focus of my creative life for the near future. 
At the same time, I do have a goal to create more personal artworks by hand.



8. What are your top three blogs?

Pinterest (if it counts), Print & Pattern, and The Art Room Plant.


9. What makes you laugh?

My boyfriend, silly jokes/dances, and cute animals.


10. What’s the most rewarding thing about being a designer/illustrator?

The ability to brighten someone's day with my artworks and make them smile.



Flora is brilliant at sharing all of her lovely doodles 
with her many followers on Facebook, 
so I thought I'd also include a few of these too.

You can follow happy doodle land on Facebook here.
And here's a link to her blog.








Thanks to Flora for sharing a little bit of her world with us!

(all images featured in this blog post are copyright of flora chang/ happy doodle land)

x x x


SHARE:
Blog Design Created by pipdig